Thursday, February 10, 2011

Let's Give 'em Something to Talk About

I came across an interesting article today asking, How Can a Democracy Solve Tough Problems. Good question, so I started reading. And wouldn't you know it, it talked about Mr. James Fishkin and his "deliberative polling". As a Fishkin fan, I was quite excited to read what the author thought of this polling process in regards to America's problems today. I, myself, wonder if it could be an answer (or at least an idea to build off of) for our country's crises - the economy and social security, even education and health-care are unstable issues. Imagine if "We the People" could truly make informed, reasonable decisions on matters because we were honestly and correctly informed. If Americans knew all the factual details (not just propaganda), and were given the opportunity to have intelligent conversions with experts, then I have complete confidence that the nation could really move forward in finding realistic ideas to sove our "tough problems". How Can a Democracy Solve Tough Problems is a worthwhile read and I hope it gives everyone something to talk about!

No comments: